Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Give Your Berries Some Room ... and Some Paper


While at the market a couple weeks ago, George, from JRB Farms, let me in on a little secret about freezing strawberries. For the best results, freeze them on some newspaper. I laid out a couple of sheets (from the Sunday's Times) over a plate and then set my washed and hulled berries, with an inch or so between them, on that. Apparently, the non-toxic ink from the paper helps them stay fresh. And keeping space between them is crucial because they have sharp, protruding micro-spikes on their flesh that can stab and injure their neighbors.


So give 'em some room already! I'm experimenting with this today and can't wait to see how it goes. Stay tuned for my findings, and for my general review of JRB organic farms. If all goes well in the freezer, I'll be sipping strawberry margaritas this weekend. Yummmmmmmmmmm.

No comments: