Sunday, April 27, 2008

At Long Last... The Mangosteen


Forbidden in the United States for decades, the fresh mangosteen has arrived! I learned about its arrival through this video on the NYTimes website. I've long yearned for the opportunity to sample this tropical wonder, and genuinely thought I'd have to travel a long distance to do so. And though I'm thrilled to learn of its arrival, it is a bittersweet excitement. As anyone who reads this blog knows, I feel strongly about doing my best to support (and celebrate) local produce growers. So the arrival of the mangosteen, though titillating, makes me all the more aware of the commitment I've made to local growers. Frieda's Specialty Produce Company, the supplier of the mangosteen and many other "exotic" fruits and veggies, has a product list that includes many items available from local growers: eg., bok choy, Asian pears, atemoyas, Chinese broccoli, etc. I will probably still hunt down a mangosteen, even though it will have been shipped in from somewhere in Southeast Asia, but I anticipate a slightly bitter flavor amongst the sweet.

No comments: